Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuscan Seduction - Day Three - Florence

On our third day in Florence we did all the touristy stuff and enjoyed it immensely. We visited the Accademia and saw the incredible David by Michelangelo - a truly awesome sight, nothing one can anticipate.


To stand in the presence of that statue is to be truly awed by the majesty and transcendent mystery of great art. It was worth the wait in line (not too long) and pricey ticket.

Steph and I wandered through the street markets checking out leather goods and found the most amazing little Wine Shop called the CASA DEL VINO (click for link) right off the Piazza Medici Riccardi. This place was a real revelation. First, it is tiny - no tables just a few seats but they have an amazing local selection of wines and the prices are great. I had a glass of a recommended local "Rosso" and it was outstanding. Complex, fruity, full-bodied, intense - and it only cost me 2 Euros which is very inexpensive. What a place! This was a turning point for me as a wine drinker - up until now I must have been drinking the wrong varietals for my palate - I had never experienced the joyful pleasure of discovering a terrific wine. The scales fell from my eyes (and my nose and tongue) and I was on my way.


This picture is from their website so there are no patrons but it was filled with about a dozen people - all Italians - when we arrived.

We enjoyed the comraderie of some American tourists back at the hotel happy hour buffet. I think this was the night Steph and I went looking for a place to dance and we ended up wandering up a multitude of steps to the Plaza Michelangelo where there is a small reproduction of the David and lots of young Italians come to hang out, play music and "make out" overlooking the river. It turned out the dance place was closed for a private party but we had our usual fun wandering the streets, talking to various Italians and visiting a local bar for a glass of wine. We snuggled in every little corner we could find. The weather in October is just terrific in Florence - warm during the day and cool enough to wear a jacket at night.

We chose an unusual option for dinner this evening - Sushi! There is an appealing looking upscale sushi restaurant right across the street from hotel David called KOKO (click to link to website) and we gave it a shot. The food was excellent and so was the service. And afterward it was only about a fifty foot walk to our hotel - Belissimo!



No comments:

Post a Comment